View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Microguy

I replaced out hot water heater because one of the inlets\outlets had rusted out.
After looking, we saw the tankless heater was only about $60 more than the tank version. So we went tankless.
Wasnt that hard. Just took time, all total, maybe two days. The hard part was working around the wiring. The old tank was an octagon shape, the new one was more square. And GS installed wiring around the octagon and pulled them pretty tight. So it was kind of a square peg in a round hole situation.
But i was able to ease it in there. I used one of those flexible cutting boards to hold them out of the way while I slipped (forced) the new heater in. I think its still in there, havent seen it since....

The other issue was the door. LOTS of people had problems ordering the door. But I didn't want to use a new door because of the splash paint job. Turns out the new heater has a single exhaust tube, that is placed right behind the aluminum grate in the old door. Just find out where, cut a few small pieces to make a hole in the old grate and youre set.
I thought I messed it up, as I couldnt get it to turn on. The control panel is only two wires, and it doesnt matter which one gets connected to the other (how great is that!)
Turns out, the heater has its own switch on the OUTSIDE you have to turn on. Once you do that, you hit the power inside and you have hot water.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote