View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Colorado350

If would help if you stated WHEN you’re planning your trip.

I-70 between Denver and Utah is no joke especially in winter time! CDOT has made it the law to have Winter tires OR traction devices (chains or tire socks) for all non-commercial vehicles. This is an attempt to prevent the huge backups I70 sees during the ski season because idiots err people can afford to ski but not buy decent tires.

I’m going to assume that your RV does not have a turbo, the elevations you will be seeing will definitely make your engine work. If your air filter has not been changed recently I would change that to help your engine breathe going over the high mountain passes. I would also make sure your brakes and brake fluid is up to the task. Keep in mind that coming down some of these long mountain passes you should be using your transmission and downshifting, even with an automatic transmission, so you are not riding your brakes down these long gone hills, don’t be “that guy”!

Make sure you your coolant has the proper temperature rating should you have pull over and spend the night in the high Rockies because of a winter storm. If your engine is GAS buy several bottles of HEET gasoline antifreeze to prevent gas lines from freezing. If you’re running a diesel, make sure you have an anti-gel in your fuel. Make sure to add this to your generator if you have one also.

You NEED winter rated windshield washer fluid in your reservoir (-20 or lower) You can buy Prestone washer booster, you add this to your washer fluid and it will lower the freeze rating if you’re currently running summer fluid. However, I would drain the reservoir and add a de-icer and make sure you run it through all the lines. The last thing you want is to clean your windshield and it freezes and you cannot see!

Watch your transmission temps and coolant temps as you go over some of the higher passes. Download a good weather app and pay attention to your area’s forecast... It can be 60° at lower elevations an absolute white out 3000 feet higher!