Thread: Block heater
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
RayChez1

Default Re: Block heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hayes
Last time I was at Gafney I asked about a block heater and was told that Mercedes utilizes a (Grid heat system). I don't know how it works but I have had no trouble starting the engine at temps near zero. Never had a diesel start as easy as this one.

What they were trying to tell you at gaftney is that these engines do not have glow plugs where you had to hold the switch on for a few seconds or a minute before you would crank the engine to start it. Now they have like you called it (Grid heat system).

But I do have both the Grid heat system and a block heater and it does make a lot of difference when you get to minus zero degree weather. With the block heater the starting is instant and smooth. When you do not have the block heater it is a rougher start.

I do have a switch to turn mine on, it looks like the same switch that turns the electric water heater inside your coach. And the plug is in the compartment where your 50 amp chord is to hook up to shore power. Mine also has the inverter/charger in that compartment.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote