View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #13
GStream40
Site Team

I used to be involved in the purchasing of production machinery for the company I retired from. We always negotiated a complete print & bill of material package in any machine purchase.

That usually cost us from 5% to 20% above of the cost of the machinery. But we were able to maintain the equipment and almost always had the spare parts on hand we felt had a high failure rate.

Print packages are expensive and they cut out the maker of the equipment and the suppliers of maintenance to maintain it since it allows the end user to find other suppliers and do their own maintenance.

As this applies to the RV Industry, providing complete prints to the buyer/owner could cut out the RV dealer's service department to a certain degree and also the manufacturer suppling some of the parts. With this thought in mind, maybe that is one of the reasons that Gulf Stream has maintained this policy on not releasing prints to the owners.

I realize that a lot of the RV dealers service is not up to par no matter what brand/make of RV. That is why I do most of the maintenance to our RV myself. Would I like to have complete wiring/plumbing prints, you bet.

Would I be willing to pay 5 to 20% more for the prints, as is done the manufacturing industry, NO way. It would not be cost effective.

Did you ever wonder why some dealers have a problem and others don't when dealing with any supplier/manufacturer? Makes we wonder where the real problem is.

Anyway, these are my thoughts,
Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote