View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #14
gsadmin

Ron, I have a feeling that your reasoning may be spot on for reluctance to release this information. Generally I feel that there could be three reasons (not really valid ones to me) to withold this info (or combonation of these three):

1. They want to keep more repair profits to themselves and their dealers. Although seemingly a logical practice, in the auto industry it was like this for years until court cases forced them to release (via sale) to the public their service manuals so that not only DIYers could do safe repairs but third party mechanics could as well.

2. The documentation is severely lacking. They might have really good documentation for general models or model years but not versions for every model/year combo. This may reflect negatively on their business.

3. Legal liability if someone uses their docs to perform a repair and then has a death or injury due to erroneous information printed in the documentation (limitations in the document itself or signed releases can prevent this one for the most part)

Anyway, like i have said many times, other top-tier RV manufacturers such as Alfa, Winnebago and others release incredible docs right from their web sites...I love my GS, but when I get the next one, my love for it will not supplant my need for good docs and if this is not yet resolved I am afraid my money will go elswhere.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote