Thread: SN Shocks
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #9
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
Bingo! Mine still retains the slipper style leaf, and the shackle assembly (I.E frame mount) is mounted to this large plate assembly that has vertical shear blocks. The rubber absorbs the smaller stuff. The shear blocks are adjustable, so I can change ride height up or down. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called though!!!

My old Kodiak chassis super c had those same overload's similar to what the SN has (mine has the same square ones, assuming the same as yours). I put air bags on the back of that RV and running ~30psi was just enough to get the rubber overload to not make contact with the top spring plate. Surprisingly, it helped the ride a ton and also quieted it down a bunch inside. I've thought about doing small secondary air bags somewhere in the back, just so I can level it out when I'm towing heavier loads. I do get a little bit of squat since those rubber shear blocks deflect more than the spring alone would.
Pretty cool! On a whim, I contacted Timbren and told them I wasn't happy with the RES001, and that they were coming back. They put me in contact with one of their engineers and we are working to find a solution, currently looking at the BDR750 in conjunction with the OEM rubber spring. The BDR750 fits between the bottom of the frame and the axle, has a 15,000 lb capacity, so shouldn't flatten out as much as the RES001. It's for a Durastar, (or a Ford, pick one ) which the 4200 is, but aftermarket suppliers seem to get confused on the naming and numbers.

I did attach a picture of the compressed Timbren RES001, just for kicks.

If the this go around with the Timbrens doesn't work out, I've been thinking about making my own brackets for air bags. They would mount similar to the Timbren BDR750, that is use the existing OEM rubber spring mounting holes with an L-shaped bracket for the top and clamp to the axle at the bottom. I've found a couple individual air bags that may work. Not a direction I wanted to go but seeing little options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RES001 with weight on it.jpg (189.2 KB, 13 views)