Thread: Batteries info
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
Chuck v

Jon,

The house batteries are those that are charged by the Converter, and power the lighting throughout the coach. The chassis batteries are charged by the engine's alternator and provide cranking power to the starter for the coach's diesel engine. Everything that runs of the vehicle side of the coach (engine, dash, headlights, etc.) run off the chassis batteries, while everything related to the 'home' side of the motor-home such as the light fixtures, the furnace fans and the like that are 12 volt operated are run from the house batteries.

You can use the disconnect switches on the stairwell to selectively shut off the house or the chassis batteries to verify which items operate off which stack.

In my 2007 Tour Master T40C, the two house and two chassis batteries were also in curb side basement compartment, just behind the rear wheel. Mine were on a single level in that bay, with the house batteries nearer the door edge and the engine batteries further back in the bay, but as you say the access was quite limited. So much so that I added a watering system to keep the electrolyte filled properly since it took a mirror to see down into each cell to verify the level.

Does the original poster to this thread still have questions on his batteries? Not sure the Voyager models are that similar to the Tour Master coaches being discussed immediately above...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote