View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesham View Post
From what you describe as hot and cold lines interlooped, I think you may have inherited a winter bypass project that was DIY and left. It is common to have a valve at the top of the water heater on the inlet to shut off during winterazation of the water system with the pink antifreeze. This prevents having to load 6 gallons of pink stuff into the water heater. (The water heater is drained and blown out in the conventional external drain plugs.)

Just rehook water supply line from the pump to the WH inlet and the other to the exit usually lower fitting. Fill and pressurize and see what happens. It is possible the water heater is defective, leaks, does not hold pressure, or will not even fire off. You have to have it filled with water to test. If the unit has flame and heats, it may pop off the high pressure valve at the top, indicating replacement for safety.

Good luck and please let us know on the forum about how it turns out.
I wouldn't put that pink stuff in my water supply for winterization. I just use it for the drain traps. You should blow out the lines with air pressure to clear them for winter storage. Very easy, less costly, no residue.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote