View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #19
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
The reason I wanted to do the repower is that I wanted more HP. The only company I found that made a programer for the VT365 was Hypermax, but they were sold out and could not tell me when they would get new units in. I think pwerwagon may have gotten his hands on one if you want to look into the Hypermax.
Power Hungry Performance has a tuner for the VT365, its called the Orion. The Hypermax was simply a few different FICM (IDM) tunes (probably PHP's eco/atlas40/80/100 tunes) on a tuner, and not an ECM tuner. The PHP tuner is far better, and has diagnostic capability as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
I think the max HP for a Cummins 5.9 is 300HP. Having personally driven a number of Supper C's equipped with a 300HP 5.9 engines I personally don't think it would be worth the effort and cost.

If your idea was to go with an older non-common rail engine I would not recommend this. The reason is, if you go to old the engine will have no way to talk to the transmission, or chassis computer. This means no speedo or any other gages will work. You need an engine that has J1939 communication so it can talk to the other components. The Cummins I have uses the CM850 and has J1939 and it seems to talk to both the transmission and chassis just fine.
I thoroughly agree with Tim here on both accounts. I even have a buddy with a Force with the 300hp 6.7 and before he did the dpf delete/tune, it didnt run any better than my 365 does in all honesty. Maybe 3-5mph faster up hills, but thats about it. Now that its deleted and tuned to 360hp, it does run better than mine. But its not drastic enough, in my opinion, to warrant the ~15-20K cost to do the swap. It should be more reliable than the VT365, but a cp3/injector failure in a CR cummins gets expensive FAST as well and it does happen.

Also, unless you want to gut the dash and put in mechanical gauges, figure out other work arounds for cruise control, hvac, etc etc, I think going full mechanical would be more work than doing something similar to Tim. However, a full mechanical 8.3/3060 would be bulletproof. I had dreams of a compound turbo p pump 8.3 until Tim talked some sense into me!!!

--Jeff