View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
gsadmin

The circuit breakers I was referring to were those "flag" type. Good point on the main disconnects...but if that were the case, wouldn't they get no 12v power inside the coach?

Ultimately, IMO its something on the charging circuit from the converter. Either the converter, a disconnected wire (like a ground), or a breaker.

I doubt it is anything from the generator if you report that you have the same issue on both Generator power as well as shore power.

The last thing it could be is the ATS (automatic transfer switch) or the internal wiring therein. What I would check as a non-technical way on this one is to feel the outside of the converter to see if its warm or you hear a fan going to make sure that 110V is actually making it there.

Basically the wiring works like this:

110V from the generator and or the shore power comes into an ATS. If you have an inverter, that power comes in as well. This switch (which can be external or internal to the inverter itself) has a hierarchy of what 110V source it will use if more than one is energized (ex. Generator is running AND you are plugged into shore power.) then it outputs the 110 to the breaker box which in turn outputs to the various coach outlets and devices. One of those devices is the converter which then converts the 110V AC power to 12V DC for those devices in the coach that need it as well as charging the batteries. Some coaches have one unit that has the inverter, converter, and ATS in one. Mine does not. On that big expensive coach I would almost bet you have an ALL-IN-ONE.

Has this ever charged the batteries?
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote