View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
mfa

Default Re: Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird 2
My 2003 Independence is 5 years old but only has 12,000 miles on it. The tires are not checked at all. Should I be at all concerned about the rule of thumb of replacing them every 7 years even though they appear like new?? Concerned.
Snowbird 2
It's a matter of risk vs. return. I don't know what tires you have, but I'm guessing that the price of a set spread over 7 years comes out to about $24 per month. How many more months do you want to try to get out of them versus the risk of having one blow?

I tend to minimize the risk on the things that I know about since there are other things that I don't know about or hadn't thought of. So I'm planning on changing tires on my MH when they hit 7 years. At the rate I'm going, they'll have less than 20,000 miles at that point.

Here's the downside: I was getting my MH out of storage last week and the manager said he had just gotten a call from one of the tenants who was traveling in South Dakota. He had a tire blowout that took off the fender and "the whole side of his Prevost." There was $30,000 in damage. The tires had plenty of tread -- it was apparently an age-related failure.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote