View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
PChez

Default Re: CAT C-7 performance

Quote:
Hi,
I recently took a trip from Los Angeles to Yosemite, San Francisco, and Santa Barbara while towing a 2007 Honda Odyssey on a tow dolly.
I could barely go up some of the hills. I had to down shift to 3rd gear while going about 35 MPH. Is this normal?
I do have to say, my temperature gauge was fluctuating quite a bit. It also over heated a few times while climbing the CA-140 going to Yosemite. But again, it was one of the hottest days, so I'm assuming it's 'normal'.
I called one of the Freightliner facility here in So Cal, and they wanted me to pay a few hundred dollars to see what the problem might be, and it will go toward the cost of fixing the problem, if there is one. I was also told by a neighbor that I can 'up rate' my C-7 to 350HP from 300HP, but I might start to have over heating issues.
Any comment/suggestion is appreciated.

I think the problem with your coach if it has felt under powered since new is that you might need the computer reflashed. The C-7 engines had that problem when they were first introduced as the C-7. They used to be called the 3126-E with 330 hp. I climbed the mountain going to Yosemite on highway 120 out of Manteca, Ca. There is a stretch twelve miles long going at about a 8% grade with lots of switch backs. By the time I got to the top pulling a 4400 lb toad, the temperture had gone up some. But it is perfectly normal, all you have to do is keep your rpm up at around 1900 and you will be ok as far as the overheating. But if you lug the engine that is not good, it will overheat for sure.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote