View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
RJ82much

Welcome Johnnie & Adrian!

The information provided is SUPERB! I'll merely summerize the steps I would (do) go through in the event of power problems:

1. Always check that both disconnects are "on". I hear a "chirp" from somewhere when I click mine on (one of the bulbs has failed).

2. Next, get your generator running. The assumption is that the house batteries are dead also (or will be). The generator will charge the house battery. Pressing the "battery" switch on the dash before the generator is running can discharge the house battery. Then the generator can't be started either. If you can't start the generator, you must provide shore power, even if merely 120 volt AC/ 20 amp in order to charge those batteries.

3. The next step (with the generator still running) would be the dash mounted battery switch, held for a little while.

4. Next would be the ignition to start your engine, which will rapidly recharge the engine battery. I would let go of the dash battery switch once your engine is running.

Note 1: Under certain conditions (& equipment), the engine charging system will automatically recharge the house batteries &/or vice-versa. I don't count on that however, because there are logic conditions involved that are undocumented in the GS literature.

Note 2: There is a condition that I have never heard discussed, but which just happened to me. You need to understand the wiring between your toad and your MH. My towing wiring was installed by a NON-GS service center, but likely wouldn't have mattered. When I stop for the night, the Apollo brake equipment continues to drain my auto battery. Also, the ashtray lamp apparently remains illuminated because of the cord. Bottom line is that in 2 days of travel, my car is stone dead. I had paid the dealer to install a 7-pin connector so that a battery charge circuit was available between car & MH, but it didn't work. He failed to provide a ground between both chassis. (The tail light circuits on the toad are independant, powered separately from the MH when activated). The purpose of the battery charge circuit was to make up for the brake system power usage. I thought it would be a good idea, if done correctly.

To temporarily correct the problem of the non-starting auto engine, I connected my jumper cable between both chassis to complete that missing ground circuit, & went to sleep. In the morning, I still couldn't start the car, plus the MH engine battery was too low to start the MH engine. Thankfully, the generator was running. I preessed the battery button. The MH engine was able to come to life, & after a short wait, the car battery was charged enough to start that engine.

Lesson learned: Your toad power system can be either your friend or your enemy depending on what is connected & how.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote