View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
RJ82much

Ron,

I don't have a good answer, but here's what I do have:

Your compartment light fixture should be a Bargman #30-93-113 containing a single #1141 bulb. The bulb is rated to draw 1.44 amps at 12.8 volts. If the compartment light was on for 2 days, you should expect to take roughly 75 amp-hours out of the house batteries.

You'd think this wasn't enough to have any effect? Well, maybe not so. You weren't charging your house batteries while driving. Perhaps there were more appliances on (lights, pumps, (got an inverter?), heater, fans, etc) while traveling which exhausted some of the battery amp-hour capacity before you got home.

You might want to test the specific gravity of the cells while you are checking that you're not low in water in the house batteries. I think the guage is fairly inexpensive. That will tell you for sure if there is a problem with the batteries.

As for the defective isolator,,, I can't answer it. The purpose of the IRD Isolator relay is to either isolate or cross-over the two battery systems. The isolator has a controll module, which you will have to search to find. I think I finally found mine in the engine compartment, not sure. The controll module (depending on model number) may also function to place charge on the "other" battery system once it's own system is up to charge. I'm not sure which way it works however, because that is determined by the IRD module, not Gulf Stream.

On either side of the isolator though, are the individual disconnects to totally isolate either/both batteries from their respective equipment. So, if there is something wrong with your isolator, you should counteract it by opening your engine disconnect, thus preventing any possible drain from battery system to battery.

Summary: careful not to leave any lights on in the future. Run generator while tearing down from camp stay. Also, start engine ahead of time. I also run generator & engine once home while getting electric from house out & plugged in. I thought that meant I was just anal about some things. Maybe not???

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote