View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default New deisel maintanence

Our coach was built Nov of 04. It is a 2005 model that we bought as a leftover on 14 Jan 06. It is a Cat C 7 300HP with the allisone 6spd.

I am taking it in for some warrenty items to be fixed and to have the Generator serviced because it has 62 hours on it. The coach has 4500miles on the engine.

I am thinking about getting the engine oil changed. I am not sure if I should or not. The initial oil change is to me done at 15,000 miles or six months. Now I understand it says six months but no way am I going to do it more than once a year unless I hit 15,000miles a year which is unlikely. I am concidering doing the oil change in spring before I start the new camping season up.

What are your thoughts? Would you do the oil change now or wait? Do you thing once a year is enough or should I go with the manuel and do it every 6 months? What happens to the oil in the crankcase if it sits for a few years with out being changed if there are not enough miles put on the engine to warrent a change?

Part of me says that changing it every 6 months is just the manufacture trying to drum up business. I don't understand how or why it would be necessary.

I appreciate all your responses. Thank you.