View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
coolchas11

My first reply vanished so I'm trying again. Our apologies. Neither Sue or I can remember if it is Catepillar or Detroit Diesel. I guess this shows where our interests are! The tour was fine. We learbed a great many things and can appreciate the finished product after seeing the process from the chassis on up. The tour began at 3pm so very few workers were on the job. GS uses an interesting system on the assembly line. The department or work unit "buys" the product from the sending unit or department. After satisfactory inspection the department/work area "pays" the sender. The product then is completed a bit further and then sent to the next step, who, in turn, "pays" for the unit or rejects it. The system is in place to assure better quality. If lacking, workers don't get paid. Is it better than a traditional assemply set-up? Let our rigs be the judges. One area I don't understand is the seemingly on-going problem with leaks. GS uses a method of pumping air into the coach. Any loss of pressure would be a sign of a potential leaking point. Sounds and looks good. All in all the tour is worth the time. We appreciate seeing all the finished vehicles ready for delivery. One thing the tour could institute and GS would benefit from is a brief discussion with owners on what's good, bad, working, improvements, etc. Any comments we made were seen as purely conversational and "let's get on with the tour." We used the GS campground for two days as a couple of items were fixed. Luckily we had gone before any tornadoes hit.