View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
WE B RVN

Thanks for your help. I was not thinking engin, I was thinking transmission. I have thought about this for a few days now. I think you are right. After you changed my thinking I have talked with a couple of mechanics this week. They suggested that since this is a relatively minor problem, and only beginning to smoke, and at very low rpm's. That I try a couple of things before taking it to Cummins. First they told me that maybe I should have thought twice before buying a diesel due to the lack of miles I drive. I only ran about 400 gallons of fuel threw it last season. And one tank always set's in it for six months threw the winter. They told me that I should ALWAYS use an additive. It is possible that bacteria may be starting to grow in the fuel. I thought the refineries put somthing in it to control that. One other suggestion was to bleed the fuel line at the injectors. I was told to start the engin, take a wrench and crack open the fuel line fitting on the injectors. Sometimes air will get trapped at the injectors. I don't understand how that could happen, but I had just replaced all three fuel filters, (pre-filter, filter, water separator). And after they had told me this I remembered back several years ago they had to do this to our bus's after filter changes. So anyway it is worth a try to see what happens. One reson I do not want Cummins to work on it just yet is that I'm still getting an average if 10mpg. (9 worst, 12 best ) I know this is not the norm, and I think if Cummins works on it, that would be the end of the great MPG.
Thanks Kevin
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote