View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #18
Chuck v

Al,

I doubt that your Inverter runs your air conditioner...most AC units take well over 1500 watts each by themselves, and perhaps more to start. Neither of my two air conditioners were set up to run on my factory Inverter, and would only be available on shore power or on the generator power from the 7500 watt diesel generator.

Typical inverter power consuming candidates are either short duration loads of moderate watts like the Microwave oven, or even lower load units like the entertainment electronics and perhaps a few wall outlets. My coach came with a 2000 watt inverter which was sufficient for the large residential frig...the run time is a factor of how much battery bank storage you have and not the peak capability of the inverter. The Tour Master inverter battery bank consisted of four each 6-volt golf cart batteries in series/parallel providing up to 450 amp-hours of 12 volts.

Inverters are not 100% efficient, so the produced AC watts is going to be less than the consumed watts of the inverter. At 90% you might get about 5 KW-HRS of total AC power. A refrigerator does not run continuously, and can average about 500 to 600 watts per hour, so 8 hours of run time is possible.

Battery charging is also not 100% efficient, you can rule-of-thumb figure that you need to charge a deep cycle battery at up to 150% of what you took out to replenish it. Solar charging is a possibility, but you need a big array. Even using the generator to do it takes hours sometimes. My bank would charge at about 85 amps initially and taper to somewhat less than 20 amps continuous for the first several hours.

Your present gas-absorption refrigerator has the following dimensions, attached below:

Many smaller 'counter depth' domestic refrigerators are similar sizes and can fit the opening with little or no cabinet modification. Note that 'counter depth' units will fit in any RV doorway with the refrigerator door removed...you don't need to take out any windows.

Some appliances are indeed a tight fit through an RV door,,,my front load Maytag clothes washer had only about an inch of clearance when I took out the old unit and replaced it with this more full-featured unit.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf frig dims.pdf (31.5 KB, 1 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote