View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
Chuck v

72chev4x4,

Always a risk to trust too much to my memory from a decade ago, so I looked it up! Good thing I went back and referenced the real data, as the inverters were twice as large as I had recalled them to be...

The Prevost H3-45 coach we had built by Vantare' in Florida (a Featherlight company by that time...October of 2000) had a 17.5 KW turbo diesel generator in Bay 3 of the basement, along with two each 4000 watt inverters with one on each leg of the 220 V system, so either inverter could add 35 amps of AC power to its leg of the AC supply. The coach had enough battery storage (each inverter was 24 VDC input..) with 8 AGM 4-D batteries to power the stateroom air overnight without starting the genset, and the main engine alternator was 270 amp 24 volt. Plenty of juice for those times when shore power was not available, although this was not a machine that you would take in the boonies and dry camp. It was 45 feet long and weighed just under 50,000 lbs as we had it equipped for our business needs.

All the air conditioners were basement mounted units as well. I have some pictures I could send you or post here, but would need to scan them into the computer. The generator was in a steel cabinet with shock isolation mounts, and the interior of that enclosure was lined with foamed lead much like found in the very expensive high end yachts. It was amazingly quiet for such a large generator.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote