View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
djqualls

I'm a new Coach owner (DP) and when I first got the unit and spent the first few nights reading every deatiled manual for all the components, i.e. Freightliner chassis, Caterpillar engine, Onan Generator. as the major's, then the general appliance and entertainment electronics I was a little bit overwhelmed but resolved to fall back to my pilot training and create a checklist of the "critical before cranking" tasks.

I read this thread and went and got out the book to my 4wd pickup and it has just as many "You Need to do's" as the major's listed earlier. I think that becuase we have driven gas vehicle's since 16 we tend to take vehicle issues for granted, and when poised with the magnatude of the DP we are falsely overwhelmed during the pre-purchase & honeymoon period. I went on a 3,000 mile trip in my Tour Master and now I'm much more familiar with everything and not so intimidating.

I remember when I wanted to fly a small Cessna and when I went up with the instructor I was afraid that I would never remember all of the neccessary tasks, and somewhat like a DP you just can't pull a plane over and jump out and re-do something. ..

I guess what I'm saying as a newbie to the whole DP thing. Just jump in with some determination and It won't be near as bad as it looks.

I can honestly say the good outweighs the bad. In my experiences from renting gassers I only considered a DP when I decided ownership.

Sorry to ramble. I always wanted to be a talk show host.....

Dave