View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
RayChez1

Rob, I have the Allison 3000MH on my Scenic Cruiser. It is very simple to change the transmission fluid. Just put a pan big enough to collect the fluid and just remove the plug. Then there are two gold internal filters. You remove the covers that hold the filters in and change them out with two new filters, also change the o-rings that come with the kit. Most of the fluid will drain, BUT there will be some left in the torque converter. Don't worry about changing every drop of fluid. After you install the two new filters and put the plug back on you just start adding the fluid back as instructed by your manual. You DO NOT have to drop the pan on the 3000MH Allison tranny. Mine had Dextron III, so I stayed with the same since I never have had any problems with transmissions heating up and it has been good to me and it costs a lot less then Synthetic oils. The thing is that when I called Allison about changing from Dextron III to Synthetic they said that my warranty which was five years would drop to two years, UNTIL I gave it a second change with Synthetic, then it would jump back to five. I have had my coach now for five years and I only have 37K miles on it, so I don't need synthetic oils.
I ordered the filters through the internet and the Dextron III I bought at WalMart. After you have added so much of the fluid then you follow the instructions on your manual and the touch buttons for the transmission will give you a code as to whether you are still low and need to add more fluid. You have to pay more attention in changing the fluid on the Allison, because you sure don't want to over fill or under fill the tranny. The engine is a lot easier to change.
Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote