View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Camperman

Default Re: Thinking about buying a 1999 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8362

Hello, I have a 2006 GS Sun Voyageur with the Workhorse 8.1 Chassis and Allison transmission. I find the rig is a bit underpowered on hills while pulling my Nissan Versa but pretty good without the car. I took it across the Rockies in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada and when I arrived on Vancouver Island I had to replace the engine and
transmission oil. Tran. oil was a $400 job.
In the past 19 months I drove it 22,000 miles and it was very good all the way.I have had several problems, mostly minor except for replacing a refrigerator. The one annoying problem I had, and many people with a slide directly behind the drivers seat have the same problem, is that after a heavy rain I have to take extra precautions to ensure water doesn't enter on top of the slide when I bring it in. It happened on 2 occasions and water dumped on me as I was driving. IF I had been someplace other than a campground it might have caused an accident. To avoid that now I bring in the other 2 slides and lift the rear of the rig slightly on the back to allow water to run off. Then I lay a towel on top of the slide when I bring it in to soak up any drips. I'll replace the seal when the weather improves and hope that helps. It has a topper which helps some but not much if there is heavy wind with the rain.
One other problem is that the rig is cold when temp drops mostly due to that atrium in the Sun Voyageur. We have learned to bring that slide in when temp drops and that helps a lot. The Sun Voyageur is a 2 season rig at best unless you live in the South. Even visiting Florida, Texas and Az we used several oil filled, electric heaters which kept it comfortable.
We lived in the unit for 19 months but if we were to go full time I'd trade in the Sun Voyageur for something else with better insulation and fewer windows.
Camperman is offline   Reply With Quote