View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
rdlamb

Hi Art:
You are not kidding. Just outside of St Mary's, about 3 miles toward the town of Babb, is the only place in the nation where a train, engines and box cars, were blown over due to wind. Not hurricane, not tornado, just wind.

My T-41D (I've seen it listed as a T-42D, and a T-40D, but the identification sticker next to my driver's seat states T41) has only one bedroom slide.

One problem we had N1 (first year from new) was a leak from the bedroom slide during windy rain storms. The culprit was that the outside rubber flaps at the top and sides met is such a way as to leave a gap. Wind would blow rain through the small gaps and run down the slide onto the carpet.

The fix was to weatherstrip glue the two points together, then run a small screw through a black plastic fender washer on the outside, into a 1/4" plywood 1" square.
This has satisfactorily stopped the leak, as tested by several Pacific wind with driving rain storms.

But, I noticed that the entire underside of the slide lacked any rubber flap at all. I wondered about this, but since I had solved the leaking problem did not respond to the problem further.

My wife and I full time. We have 2 small dogs. Oregon rains from Sept to May pretty much every day. Thus, the original carpet required much cleaning. I got fed up and pulled all the carpet in the coach out and replaced it with laminate flooring.

Once the carpet came out of the bedroom, I again looked under the bedroom slide. The carpet provides the air & water barrier under the slide. The tip off was that the end of my carpet was starting to mold. Fortunately, with removal that ended the mold's home in my coach.

First, I purchased a roll of industrial strength, outdoor rated, foil backed rubber foam used to insulate pipes, ducts, vents. Found at Home depot. One side is sticky, and this sticks to almost any clean surface. Key word is clean. In the gap between inner and outer walls I applied the foam to seal against the rain and wind.

Then, I ran a strip of rubber, 4" wide and about 1/4" thick, made to seal slide rooms, across the bottom of the slide. It mounts in the recess beautifully and attaches with the black washers & small metal screws. I painted the screw heads black when finished and it looks professional.

I suspect you can do something similar to fix the air leak under your bed. My total cost was less than $40. You would think GS could provide this service for us, but my one year warranty is expired.

Glad you could make it to Montana Art. I have traveled the realms of MA, including the Cape. Nice area as well, although not right now.
Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote