Thread: Slide problems
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
BobClearyJr

We bought our motorhome in 2013. It is a 2011 Gulfstream Yellowstone Class-C. It was delivered as new to the dealer in 2012. Between his receiving it and selling it to us he rented it, so Gulfstream trashed the manufacturer warranty. The dealer sold us an extended warranty from United States Warranty Corporation, 6140 Parkland Blvd., Ste #230, Mayfield Heights, OH 44124, for $1630.00 for 7 years (expires the end of this year).

We brought it to Camping World in Lakewood, NJ, the following spring to have two vent fans installed and vent covers put over the other two vents. While it was there, we had them do their 45-point inspection. They found and fixed a propane leak that we did not know about. As part of this inspection, they inspected the slides, and we would learn about a year later that the extended warranty company would not cover any slide repairs if they had not been inspected within two years. We had paid extra on the insurance to cover the slides and the raised roof.

First slide problem: We noticed that the front legs of the couch were dragging the floor when the slide went in and out and the couch (and floor) were rocking. We brought it to Pocono RV in Wind Gap, PA, for the repair. The insurance inspector required the floor be removed before doing an inspection and then determined that the problem was a design flaw in a bracket, so not covered, $4,000 out of my pocket.

Second slide problem: The other slide had one of the support rollers push through the floor. There was a moisture barrier that looked like the plastic that they use for black trash bags, and it ripped, and the humidity soaked the particle board making it soft. Well two years earlier when Pocono RV did the repair, we had them do the 45-point inspection, so that was covered. This time we brought the rig to Camping World in Kingston, NY. They did a far superior job on this slide that was twice the size of the first slide than Pocono RV did, including a moisture barrier that is made of hard plastic and metal runners over the rollers, $9,000. Again, the insurance said it was not covered because it was not the mechanism that moves the slide in and out.

Third slide problem: Both slides were having issues. The one with the stove and couch would stop about half an inch short of fully closing and the big one with the master bedroom furniture and bunk beds would make a loud clunk sound and stop either halfway in or out and stop unless I helped by pushing. We brought it to Pocono RV again, their only advantage is location. I thought for sure with problems moving the slides in and out that this should be covered. NO, the insurance company said that they do not cover adjustments and lubrication, $800 out of my pocket.

In the seven years we have had the policy only a control board in the refrigerator has been covered. I paid the deductible of $50.00, the insurance covered the rest, $100.00.
BobClearyJr is offline   Reply With Quote