View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
pwerwagn

Default 2009 Supernova 6372 build thread

Hi all! Been a lurker for YEARS, as I have a 2005 Gulfstream 6316 Conquest Super C with the 8.1 with a whole bunch of mods/upgrades (fixing to be for sale). I learned a ton reading on here about the issues with the Kodiak Chassis Super C, and I have read a bunch about the shortcomings of the 4200 chassis as well, and I am comfortable taking on the challenge!

My Parents bought this 2009 6372 Supernova a few years back when my Dad retired. It was his dream to own a Supernova for many reasons. He recently passed away unexpectedly so I purchased it from my Mom to keep it in the family and keep my Dad's dream alive. We use our current Super C to tow our boat, our truck that we desert race, etc. We spend a lot of time in the dirt and absolutely love our current Super C, and we are looking forward to many good times with the new one.

I was a diesel mechanic for a few years, so I am very aware of the 6.0/VT365 short comings. I have already done studs and new HG's, new oil/egr cooler, TS MP8 pressure box, etc. I have checked the FICM, and voltage is good. I am currently talking to a few FICM tuners about a FICM tune, because mine is grossly underpowered. I was hoping the FICM was weak, but unfortunately its in good shape. My 8.1 in the 6316 loaded to the same weight will run circles around this VT365 on hills and in town. I also have an issue with the fan clutch as many others have. Mine is purely mechanical unlike the truck 6.0, and even after replacement it will never shut off. I recently readjusted the engagement temp on the clutch, and it still runs 100% of the time. I will adjust it a few more times, and then might bite the bullet and throw in a Horton EC450 clutch instead of elec fans.

My Dad and the previous owner also addressed some of the other shortcomings. My Dad replaced the main slide controller with one that can control the motors independently in case they get out of synch. The rear suspension was replaced with a rubber shackle mount setup (I'm drawing a blank on the name). It has Road King shocks all around. The RV drives like a dream, other than the noise from the fan and the lack of power.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi. I know a few of you have done cool things like exh brakes, egr delete, water/meth injection, etc. that I will probably inquire more about!

--Jeff
pwerwagn is offline   Reply With Quote