Thread: Solar
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
rdlamb

Hi Trickto:
Very complicated. Basically, you have 2 batteries, 12 volt, that run your coach. Most of your coach's innards run off of 12 volt.
The converter drops 110 volt in, from generator/shore power/ or possibly the inverter, to 12 volts.
The inverter ups the voltage from 12 to 110.

But, you knew that. What you want to do is use the sun to power your coach, and charge your batteries.

You cannot charge both your coach batteries and inverter batteries. Believe me, the cost will be prohibitive. Here's why.

The solar unit will charge about 6 amps with a 4 foot long 12 inch wide panel.

You can run a lot of lights with 12 volts, 6 amps.
You can run almost nothing with 110 volts, .6 amps.
Note, both use the same amount of power, Volts x Amps, or both about use about 72 watts.

So, solar charge your coach batteries. Depending upon what you want to use for lights, you can start with one 4 foot panel and go from there. If you want to charge the inverter batteries you need several panels, which cost about 800 dollars each, plus instillation and a solar power "converter", which monitors the amount of power coming in vs. the amount of power your batteries require at that particular point in time.

I had a solar power unit on one of my RV's, several units ago. Did a lot of boondocking. Loved the ability of being able to do without electrical hookups. The sun charged my RV coach batteries and I used the generator for 110, TV and other uses. Worked well.

Change your lights to the LED, either replacement bulbs or replacement lights. Use the "Kill-a-Watt" meter to determine what energy each device uses.

If you must charge your Inverter batteries, the Kill-a-watt will tell you how much energy you use on a routine basis. Your store supplying the solar panel will be able to match that usage to your charging needs.

Sorry about the long winded reply.
Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote