Thread: Solar
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
rdlamb

Hi Art:
In my coach, the Jensen is crammed into the space, then held in via the "picture frame" around it. I removed all 4 frames, and gently pried it off. It comes off as one piece.
The Jensen then came out with a small amount of coaxing, as it just fits the space.
My thought is one of the connection cords is holding the TV in place, but should come out/off with gently coaxing.

I took the time to insulate behind the TV. Lots of 18" wide, 3" thick foil backed duct insulation. There was a thin band of insulation applied from GS. There was a large area not insulated. I sprayed 3M high-tac adhesive spray on the bare areas and layered the insulation into the fiberglass cap. I then ran the bubble/foil insulation (all from Home Depot) over this and taped the whole thing together with foil tape.

It lowered the temperature in the upper cabinet considerably.

I cut 2 vent holes is the cabinet above the driver's seat, and covered them with 2 covers from Radio Shack. In the area where they have 12v fans there are foam filters (all used to cool PC's). They look good, and allow air movement.

I installed an exhaust fan in the middle cabinet, just left of the factory installed connection box, 110 outlets, power unit for the roof antennae.

While the TV was out I also cut a vent on the R (as you sit in the driver's seat) lower cabinet which is at the lower R part of the TV. The area is hidden by the upholstered (vinyl) area to which the power sun shade (passenger side) is attached.
I wired the switch just below the auxiliary TV connection in the middle cabinet.

I also zip tied, or electrical taped everything down.

GS had left a mess behind the TV. Even the wrapper to someone's sandwich. Clips of wire, sawdust, lots of crap.

The end result is the upper cabinet runs cool, or I can start the cooling fan and empty the hot air building up behind the TV and components. The insulation keeps the area very quiet. Rattles went away.
Hopefully my Sony Bravida will last a longer time due to better ventilation. It sure can not hurt.
Oh, the Sony is just a tad larger than the Jensen, and the frame did not fit correctly. I had to remove the top piece and install it on the outside of its intended place at the top of the TV. If we get to GS I will have them make a custom piece to complete the correct framing of the TV.

Take care, safe travels Art.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote