View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
UAHaerospace

there are a lot of simple 12v 'package' solar panel sets online. I ordered HQST's, which came with two 12v 100w panels, a 20aPWM controller, the parallel wire connectors for the panels, and some wire to get them down to the controller.

The set also included roof mount aluminum mounts, and screws.

I also purchased a few feet of additional wire to connect the controller to the battery bank... it's pretty simple, and you don't 'have' to necessarily mount these panels anywhere to start with, especially if you just want to get started, learn how it works, and then decide to mount them at the best place for your needs.
We actually mounted ours initially on a 4-back rack I customized to allow them to articulate/angle so that they would be best used on our trip to Alaska back in 2017. The traveled all the way and back and we were able to angle them, when parked, for the best sun hours.
Later, I moved them up to the roof, for a more 'permanent' mount and travel place.

Either way, they give somewhere between 5 and 10amps on good sun hours, and can help keep your batteries recharged for additional hours, sometimes many hours, depending on your lifestyle and usage.
You'll still need your generator, but it allows you to use it less. And, there will still be times that the sun is not out, it's raining/cloudcover, or you are just parked somewhere in a campground that is full of shade. In those cases, solar won't be of much help.

Our package was about $300
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote