Thread: tow package
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: tow package

I gave up the tow-bar several years ago for a trailer, so I can't comment on the best system. However, I can tell you that Camping World will have them, but at a premium price. Check with your local towing, trailer, hitch, or plow dealers and research on-line for features and prices. When I had mine, I ordered it on line and the hitch dealer in my neighborhood installed it.

If you're even a little bit handy, you can do it yourself. Most braking systems are a unit that sits on the floor of the toad between the brake pedal and the driver's seat.

With a Jeep, and most 4wd vehicles, the transmission/drive shaft can be shifted into "TRUE" neutral. Just check your owner's manual or with the Jeep dealer for info on flat towing. Most 2wd and AWD vehicles require either modificaton to the drive train or a transmission pump to protect the tranny.

The hardest part is attaching the brackets onto the front of the car to receive the tow bar. There may be some minor wiring required as well.

This is just my opinion and I'm sure you'll get more responses that will help you decide on the best plan for you.

Good luck.