View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #16
SlimTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMICH5 View Post
Just bought a 2008 SN with the VT365, I have owned 3 6.0 fords already, I know what I’m in for… but this one only has 7,800 miles on the whole rig… hoping it will last a while before re-power. I am very interested in this build, I have sourced a ISL locally with Allison trans, but interested to know how it is all going together. Would it truly be easier to swap in a ISB 6.7 say 350HP? Haven’t even picked up the rig yet and already looking at repower 🙃

I had no issues with my VT365 and I actually like the engine. I am a firm believer that the primary issue with the VT365 and 6.0 engines was the oil-to-water cooler. Once the cooler gets plugged on the water side you will see EGR Cooler failures, HPOP failures, Turbo failures and injector failures. Because of this I replaced my stock cooler with the Bullet Proof Diesel air to oil cooler and never had an issue.

The reason I wanted to do the repower is that I wanted more HP. The only company I found that made a programer for the VT365 was Hypermax, but they were sold out and could not tell me when they would get new units in. I think pwerwagon may have gotten his hands on one if you want to look into the Hypermax.

In regards to your 6.7 vs. ISL question, yes it would be way easer to install a 6.7 vs. the ISL. The ISL is a significantly larger engine (longer and wider). Plus you will need to upgrade from the Allison 2500 to the Allison 3000 series as the ISL has way to much torque for the 2500 transmission. Even the 350HP 6.7 has to much torque for the 2500, but I would probably still use the 2500.

The biggest fitment issue with the ISL is the turbo. Most ISL's have the turbo located on the right side below the exhaust manifold and towards the back of the engine. The 4200 chassis is very narrow in this area and there is just not enough room for everything to fit. So for the ISL to work you will need one that has the turbo mounted as far forward as possible and preferably above the exhaust manifold.

Upgrading from the Allison 2500 to 3000 is a significant amount of work as well. The 2500 is a partial electronic transmission vs. the 3000 is fully electronic. The 2500 uses a manual push/pull cable to shift vs. the 3000 uses an electronic push pad. So if you upgrade to a 3000 series you will need to modify the the transmission wiring harness, purchase or make a pedestal for the new 3000 series shift pad, change your driveline yoke, and remove all the shifter and push/pull cable used for the 2500. Depending on how much work you do yourself. Upgrading from the 2500 to the 3000 series can add several thousand dollars to the project. Also if you upgrade to the Allison 3000 you will need a 4th Gen transmission. I believe a 5th Gen would also work. You absolutely "do not want" a 2nd or 3rd Gen transmission.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote