Thread: newbie to RVing
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Marshall

Default Reply from newbie

Hello Bill,
Thanks so much for your reply. Interesting to read your tail. Let me give you some of our history. We live in Ontario Canada just south of Ottawa. We have been here since 2002. We have 5 kids all grown up now and on their own so its time for Mom and Dad to get lost. We originally came from the Canadian Arctic after 20 years up there. A place formerly known as Frobisher Bay NWT.now Iqaluit Nunavut as a result of the didvission of the old NWT.

I have been retired from the Military since 89 just prior to the first Gulf war my time was up and 25 years is enough anyway.

Why did I retire in the Arctic you may wonder? Well I served up there several times in my career and found it to be the land of opportunity so we started a business which is still running under the control of our youngest son. Also my wife and kids are Inuit (Eskimo) and grew up in the Arctic.

Enough of that. We have done a lot of wilderness camping over the years sleeping on the ice in an Igloo and all the other things that are involved with really on the land life styles from hunting Polar Bears and seals and Walrus to eating Arctic Char on a daily basis. It is now time to stop sleeping on the ground and get to the enjoyable things in Life.

The unit that we are currently looking at is a 1992 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 32ft. It is a deisile pusher (cummins 5.9 169 to 190 HP) I think it is the 5.9 B.
I have been on the web searching for info and most folks are saying it is a good unit in terms of the engine? Of course there are those that are not to keen on the cummins but thats life. The unit has 68Km about 42,000 miles so I expect that it will go for a while yet. I do have the ability to do some of the maintenance myself and have several friends for up north that are long time mechanics so I don't think that is an issue. Basically I am looking for on road experiences from folks like you maybe some words of advise on places to go or not to go.

This summer we are planning a trip with some country friends of our that really haven't been out of our immediate area ever. The trip is taking us to Labrador ( I just can't stay away from the north HaHa) Goose Bay Happy Valley. The trip should take about 2 weeks and we will have to put the unit on the ferry for a 12 hrs trip across the striat between Newfoundland and Labrador. What do you think. There is about 1000Km of dirt road used by the trucking industry for resupply of the Labrador city and Goose Bay area all summer so it is a well maintained road. I hope this is not a problem for an RV.

Great to chat with you and I hope to hear from you or other RVing folks soon.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote