View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
Chuck v

Al,

When you say you are on shore power -- is it a full 50 amp RV hookup or just an adapter cord plugged into household power in your driveway? You need a "full connection" to run both AC units at the same time... If your coach has a generator of a least 7 KW or so, both air conditioners should work when that is running (mine do...)

What model and brand refrigerator do you have? My coach had a 23 cu ft "residential refrigerator" that only operated off of 110 volt AC -- from shore power, generator or the AC Inverter. Residential refrigerators were not common until about 2005 or so, and your rig sounds like it is one of the small (8 to 10 cu ft?) propane/electric units. The propane function of those does need the gas to light via its internal electric spark ignition (DSI is the function name) and if that does not light the Check light comes on. If your burner is dirty it may need a cleaning to light properly. The advice to run the stove on gas is meant to verify/ensure all air is out of the supply lines after changing or filling the tank -- it has nothing to do with being on shore power as far a s gas operation is concerned. If you do a web search on the model of your frig, you should be able to download a manual that will be helpful.

The same thing happens for the propane cycle on the water heater via its DSI. If your water heater has an electric mode, that needs shore power (no battery mode for heating appliances of course...) and for my coach both modes could coexist. The space heating on these coaches is typically propane, and the fan runs on house batteries to allow for heat to be used when no shore power is available. You will find the heater to be noisy and to pull the batteries down fairly fast. Are you planning to do much "boon docking" or "dry camping" where no hookups are available??

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote