Thread: SN Shocks
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #8
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyf View Post
Thanks, yes, some pictures would be great! Thanks for the link. Sulastic doesn't make a shackle for the 4200 series as the chassis uses a slipper on each end of the spring pack with a single axle-locater "spring" in the middle of the pack.

I'm going to reinstall the rectangular OEM "bump stops" and remove the Tembrens. It turns out that the OEM bump stop is not really a bump stop, but rather it's a rubber auxiliary spring with a 4500 lb rating similar to the Tembrens. Navistar part 3554205C2. Apparently, it was an option available from International which GS selected for the SN. The Trmbens, from what I can tell, were fully compressed, not sure they really did anything. Perhaps their load rating was overly optimistic. They appeared kind of flimsy as compared to the OEM ones.
Bingo! Mine still retains the slipper style leaf, and the shackle assembly (I.E frame mount) is mounted to this large plate assembly that has vertical shear blocks. The rubber absorbs the smaller stuff. The shear blocks are adjustable, so I can change ride height up or down. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called though!!!

My old Kodiak chassis super c had those same overload's similar to what the SN has (mine has the same square ones, assuming the same as yours). I put air bags on the back of that RV and running ~30psi was just enough to get the rubber overload to not make contact with the top spring plate. Surprisingly, it helped the ride a ton and also quieted it down a bunch inside. I've thought about doing small secondary air bags somewhere in the back, just so I can level it out when I'm towing heavier loads. I do get a little bit of squat since those rubber shear blocks deflect more than the spring alone would.