Thread: Inverter????
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 10:52 AM   #3
Chuck v

Schooner,

The gas coaches likely have only two battery banks -- one for engine starting/vehicle lights and another one for 'house' loads like interior lights and accessories. In that case the inverter may be built into the house battery charger (12 volt converter) so look for its location to be near the house battery bank.

My diesel pusher coach had a third battery bank dedicated to the inverter and for starting the large diesel generator. This bank was up under the windshield (above and in front of the generator...) and the inverter itself was in the front bay on the driver's side.

Wherever your inverter is located, it will be very near a battery bank, as they pull quite a large 12 volt load current when operating at rated capacity. My 2500 watt inverter could pull at least 200 amps... A 1500 watt inverter would max out at about 125 amps and for a typical load (residential refrigerator) could average 50 amps of 12 volt input when the frig is running... Cables from the bank will be heavy -- at least 4 or 2 gauge or larger. Mine were 00 gauge size which is a wire diameter of 0.3648 inches...and with insulation makes these about the size of a small garden hose. You should have no issues finding the cables to your inverter if they exist.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote