Thread: Inverter????
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
Chuck v

Schooner,

As Bike Dr notes, the inverter could be turned off -- but even if it is working not ALL 110 volt outlets would necessarily be powered. In my coach the inverter powered designated loads/outlets but not all. The washer and dryer for instance were not on the inverter distribution at all, as was the case for several of the 110 utility outlets around the coach.

The most definitive way to see what might be on the inverter when it is operating is to look for a 110 volt breaker sub-panel that it feeds -- on my coach this is under the residential refrigerator and included loads that needed to be kept 'hot' when off shore power. On my coach, these included the refrigerator, the microwave, the front TV and a couple of convenience outlets.

The way the coach wiring is usually done is the shore power comes into the coach and passes through the transfer switch to all the 110 loads, either directly or indirectly. When there is no shore power, the generator feeds the other input to the transfer switch and gives its power to all the same 110 loads. However a portion of the loads further are routed through the internal transfer switch inside the inverter, which allows it to power SOME of the 110 loads even when the generator is not running. For my coach, having power to the residential refrigerator from the inverter allowed it to stay cool during a long drive. Your coach may have a refrigerator that also runs on gas, but the large (23 cu ft) unit in my rig only runs on 110 volt household power.

Look for some information on what outlets in your particular model of coach would be [powered by the inverter if present. If you have a residential refrigerator, most likely you have an inverter... Smaller rigs with Norcold or Dometic gas refrigerators may not have an inverter, but things vary quite a bit from model to model.

The brochure I find on-line for your 2004 Atrium indicates it came with an 8 cu ft refrigerator, so it may indeed not have any inverter.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004 Atrium 12pg brochure.pdf (1.05 MB, 11 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote