Thread: Inverter????
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2022, 08:41 AM   #8
Chuck v

Thanks for the comments, Bike Dr,

It is true that there are many variations on how these RV coaches are configured for 120 volt AC distribution, etc. If your coach has only a few convenience outlets and no heavy loads like a residential refrigerator, then it is possible that the inverter in yours has no secondary transfer switch.

I am pretty sure that there are some shore power loads on your coach that don't get serviced by the inverter, however -- such as the air conditioners, the electric element of the water heater, any washer or dryer that may be fitted, etc. As I understand it your coach is not diesel powered, so there is probably not an engine heater fitted, but that load is also not going to be driven from an inverter.

Mostly the inverter on these coaches are set up for the entertainment electronics, the convenience outlets, and perhaps the microwave. Careful selection of which loads in this group are active at once keeps the inverter within its load limits...

There may be older coaches that do not have factory fitted inverters, as these inverters were relatively more expensive a few decades ago than they are now. I know that my 24 volt input inverter for my off-grid home that I built in 1976 was a big expense, as were the solar panels and the four big L16 batteries, and of course the 1800 RPM Onan generator and 24 volt high amperage charger.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote