Thread: Inverter????
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 08:26 PM   #15
Chuck v

Hossross,

All the factory installed inverters that i am aware of have INTERNAL transfer switches to ensure that the inverter's reconstructed AC power from battery storage is not connected across the line sourced AC (or generator sourced AC) at the same time. The transfer switch function is the same as that of the generator and is cascaded to it -- the logic is if shore power is present, the AC loads are powered from that, if no shore power and the generator can run, then it starts up and the AC loads are powered from there (or a portion of the loads if it is a smallish generator...) and finally if the shore power AND the generator power are unavailable, then at least some portion of the AC loads get power from the inverter.

Inverters, like generators come in various sizes...so it is not true to say that large AC loads cannot be sourced/powered from an inverter. Below is a picture of a 45 foot custom Prevost coach I helped specify for a demonstration vehicle for a company I once was working for as the VP of technology, and it had sufficient inverter power to run the two basement air conditioners and the third roof unit (that cooled the complex electronics in the video equipment) for up to 6 or 8 hours continuously without the rather large battery bank needing a recharge. My own Tour Master coach did not allow any air conditioner to run off its inverter...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VTC bus pix 640 x 480.jpg (46.0 KB, 3 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote