Thread: Inverter????
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 10:02 PM   #17
Chuck v

Hossross,

Adding an inverter to any coach of any year using today's available RV targeted units like the Magnum will give you an INTERNAL transfer switch so you can have safe and convenient back-up 110 volt power in appropriate wattage depending on the unit and the battery bank selected. While efficiencies have increased over the years (as have wave shape improvements with true sine wave units being common now...) the inverter made by Trace that I used on my off-grid home in 1976 is essentially equivalent to the function of modern inverters. Unless you are just trying to 'get by' with a small inexpensive stand alone inverter from Harbor Freight or something similar for a CPAP or other dedicated load, a real RV inverter is going to be simple to install and maintain and convenient to use.

Yes the high wattage units were typically 24 or 48 volt designs, and the really big one I worked on for a solar company that made 7 tons of ice a day in the upper Egyptian desert ran on an input of 240 VDC and more current than you would be comfortable with. The batteries were enough to completely fill up a 40 foot cargo container and each cell was about waist high.

The large coach pictured had a turbo diesel generator to run the battery charger for its 24 volt banks (plural) and two 4 KW inverters. That project was in the early 2000 time frame. Some gas class A coaches had inverters in this same period, but more common to see them in the last 10 years or so.

There are lots of good articles on-line about adding an inverter to an existing RV, so a search should give you lots of information.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote