View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
Chuck v

Bike Dr.

I do not consider myself an authority on RV systems, nor do I play one on these forums -- but I do have over 30 years of professional engineering in electric and electronic system including large solar installations in multiple countries, and even did some design/specification of 45 foot Prevost commercial coaches for video solutions equipment solutions for service providers...so I do have some experience to draw from.

The transfer switch is a very simple break-before-make high reliability latching relay with not much chance of "an issue" as you postulate. Even if it were to somehow fail such that both sources were selected at the same time, circuit breakers in the generator and/or the pedestal of the shore power source would trip immediately since the two power sources are most assuredly not in-phase or otherwise synchronized.

You may notice that there is nothing in the user controls of the RV's systems that preclude the operation of the generator when shore power is present (nor the operation of the AC inverter when either is present, for that matter) you can be sure that the insurance companies that underwrite these expensive vehicles are more than confident that the systems are reliable enough to insure -- and they know that many owners are senior individuals that may not be entirely mindful of any warning statements such as the one you propose.

You are welcome to your own precautions of course, but if you have a documented case of damage to on-board systems from a transfer switch failure we would be interested to hear the details.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote