View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
Mike1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedThinking View Post
Well I must admit, this is not the first time troubleshooting the fuel rail problem. I did change out the fuel pump, located in the fuel tank, about 10 years ago. Very low mileage on the rig 16k miles.
Two years ago I was have a similar problem with intermittent engine and generator starts. At that time, I rebuild the battery disconnect relays replacing all the solenoids with new ones (two primary large and two smaller ones). Now the generator will start but no fuel pressure for the main engine.
Aside from dropping the (very full) fuel tank, I was wondering where the chassis test points to trace the power to the fuel pump are and any recommendations. I do have a fuel rail pressure tester (harbor freight).

I am assuming the first step would be to pump the gas out of the tank. That's a lot of fuel! Divide and conquer.
Mine had a fuel rail pump bolted to the inside of the frame under the drivers door area. It’s the booster pump, increases the file pressure to specs.
Now that I said that, I ended up installing a new “second” fuel tank pump. That cured the issue.
Note; the in tank fuel pump is a bunch cheaper than the fuel rail pump.
Yep! I replaced the fuel rail pump! Knowing I had installed a new tank pump not more than 5,000 ago.
To my surprise, it was the third in tank fuel pump.
1. First Was from factory.
2. Second A Ford dealership in Weed California.
3. Third Was replaced in Langley BC.

Remember not to cheep out and buy the lesser expensive one. Make sure “New Pump” comes with a lifetime warranty.

Mike R
Tulalip Washington
35 miles northwest of
Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote