View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Ikcaj

Default '97 C. Ultra A/C tripping breaker

Hi,

We're first time RV owners and full-timers, we live in our 1997 Conquest Ultra, so this has really been a learning experience. (I am so happy to have found this forum!) Of the hundreds of questions and issues we have, the most pressing at the moment is our roof air conditioner as we live in FL.

I bought the RV in April of the year and while renovating had the power on with the A/C set at 80 24/7 to prevent mold & mildew. I didn't have any problems for three months. We moved in full time in mid-July. A week later, the main power breaker tripped. It didn't take long to realize it was the A/C causing this, but I can't figure out why.

Of course since this started we no longer run it as normal. I keep it on Fan until it gets so hot (100+) that I have no choice but to turn it on for a few minutes. This has allowed some expirmentation and here's what I've found thus far:

1. I make sure nothing else is running at the same time. No microwave, TV, coffee pot, etc. If I can unplug it, I do. If I can't, I turn it off.

2. The outside temperature appears to have something to do with it as on cloudy, rainy days it will run much longer, sometimes all night, without tripping. (Again, it gets so hot I have to try. A couple of time I fell asleep before turning it off. When I woke up I realized it had run fine all night.)

3. Though we have a 30 amp breaker with a 15am converter, we're using a 50 amp adapter to connect to the 50 amp supply at the pole. No extension cords or anything else. It's a direct connection except for the adapter..

4. When I do run it, even back when it worked fine, I don't set it too low. I slowly turn it down until it just kicks on. This way it's set at no more than 10 or 15 degrees lower than outside temp.

5. I was going to try to switch out the breaker but a guy I know who works on RVs for a living says he doesn't think that would help. He thinks something in the compressor it causing it to overheat and trip. His suggestion is to install window units which I'm not against, but I still want to know why it quit working.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Ikcaj is offline   Reply With Quote