View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default More hp by flashing the memory?

While I was getting service done at Martinsburg RV one of the dealer owners was talking to me. He mentioned that he was driving a new Crescendo with a 350HP Cat motor at 70-75 mph and he was getting 7 to 7.5mpg. I said I wish mine would do that. He told me I could (or they could) take it to frieghtliner and have the memory flashed and reprogramed to be a 350. He said that the 300 and 350 where in fact the same engine and that all I had to do was get the flash done (for $1800.00). I am talking about the 300 cat c7 engine with the 6 speed allison transmission.

I have four questions for the forum. 1. Has anyone heard of this? 2. Is it true? 3. Has anyone done this? 4. and for $1800.00 is 50hp more worth it?

The guy told me that the engine would not have to work as hard and I would get more mpg. I am currently getting about 6.5mpg right now with 1000 miles on the motorhome. I know it will get better as the engine breaks in but if I could add .5 to 2mpg on top of that it would be great.

Now if I had 50hp more I would probably use it for getting on the interstates faster and maybe a little more throttle from light to light. I still would travel around 60mph as I usually do. I though I would ask here first. Then I plan to call frietliner, cat and allison and find out if it is true and safe to do this. I will post those answers next week after I make the calls.

Thanks for your time and replies. Happy Camping