View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 01:04 PM   #6
Chuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
re: <<found out from an RV buddy that there's a 5-min delay or more when starting the engine before that same relay kicks in to charge the coach battery while driving. This is done to make sure starter battery and alternator are "warmed up" before adding the other battery.>>

THIS Is true ONLY in (some systems) that use a BIM w/ TIME DELAY RELAY; My 2000 Conquest has no BIM, just IGN control of CHARGE solenoid and Manual switch for BOOST. The time delay is required for large, multi-battery class-A, where that surge voltage dip can cause SOLENOID CHATTER.

and the SOLENOID CLUNK is NOT a test if you are not monitoring voltage/ change w/ CLUNK, because they can CLUNK< but NOT connect.

and (some steps) will have a LIGHT below step that maybe ON, that you do NOT notice in daylight? Good Luck.
Thanks, but I am measuring voltage/current at all times with the SmartShunt so I know the relay is being driven properly by the Emergency Start switch, before I replaced relay there wasn't even a clunk noise. This RV definitely has a delay circuit when switching said relay from the ignition side. I proved this by hearing the relay enabled after several mins of engine running, also saw voltage rise when the alternator kicked in.

I found the phantom drain, it was the 12V to the fridge is always draining 0.52A which seems awful high but I can't any verifying specs for the fridge in the operator's manual. I had measured it last year but forgot it was that high, had to look back in my records.

So I'll have to pop the fuse to eliminate this drain. Of course this type of drain isn't a problem when in storage with the big isolation switch in Off position.

The other big part of the "phantom" drain was that the Emerg Start switch had been left on for 2 years (powering the coil in the relay) and I had no idea what it was for. The switch has a light to warn it's on but it had burned out sometime ago ! The guy I bought it from 2 years ago said just don't touch that switch. Not great advice.

Regards,
Chuck
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote