View Single Post
Old 04-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFan View Post
My RV's power center's converter breaker is tripping the land-side GFCI when the unit is plugged into a 110 outlet at my house. All other converter breakers are working fine when plugged into land-side GFCI house outlet. None of the DC fuses are blown. SO... Time for a new converter.

My current model was a factory WFCO 8935PEC integrated breaker and fuse panel with a converter below the breaker/fuse box. Per the label converter input 105-130VAC, 60HX, 8A, 600W. Converter output 13.6 VDC 35A (includes charging and load).

There is no direct replacement from WFCO and my preference would be to have a fully enclosed unit (with enclosed fan) 3 wire AC in and 2 wire DC out.

What replacement mfg/model do you recommend? It will be mounted in the same place as the previous unit. The previous unit was mounted on a plastic frame but I assume the enclosed unit will not care about the material on which it is to be mounted, right?
TO TEST, did you turn OFF the 120vac RV Breaker feeding the CONVERTER? If it still trips house GFCI, then it is NOT the converter. Most common issue is broken ground wire in plug at SHORELINE CORD, but also leakage in RV Parts such as WATER HEATER ELECTRIC ELEMENT. BUT YOU MIGHT also have a defective/ weak GFCI receptacle.

A GFCI does NOT require milli-amp current flow into the ground wire, it simply requires UNEQUAL current between Hot/Neutral. Good Luck.