View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Ron,

Make sure that you have no air flow restriction. I had that problem on a 5th wheel and also on our first Gulf Stream coach on one of the airs.

The problem was on both was when the duct was cut where the AC was installed they cut the duct on three sides and they pushed the access piece into the duct it restricted the airflow and was causing the units to freeze up.

What I did was remove the access to filter and then remove the screws that hold the panel up to the air conditioner unit so that the whole bottom was exposed. Then you can see up in where the duct work was cut for the air to flow on both sides. I reached up into this access and found the cut pieces, be very careful for they are sharp.

On the 5er it was restricted appox. 50% by the cut pieces not being pushed down all the way, on the coach it was appox. the same on both ducts.

I flexed all the cut pieces up and down until they broke off and I removed them. While there I checked to make sure they were flat. I used metal duct tape where needed to seal the unit so air flow could flow properly. Also did as RV Wizard described previously while in there.

Put the panel back on and what a difference it made in both units. It took care of the freeze up problem on both accounts.

Another thing, always run your fan speed on high, it helps to keep air moving properly and also helps to prevent freeze ups across the coils.

Good luck, Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote