View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
MarkG

Default Buyer Beware - Fresh and Waste Tank Sizes

We purchased a new 2017 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 218MB in July of 2017. After using the RV a few times, we noticed the fresh water tank was empty sooner than we had anticipated it should be and the waste tanks seemed to fill up sooner than anticipated. In the summer of 2018 I discovered that the stated capacities of the RV did not match the actual capacities for the fresh water system and both the black and grey waste tanks. Using a 6-gallon portable water tank I filled the fresh water tank and discovered it would only hold approximately 18 gallons. If you add in the 6 gallons in the hot water tank it equals 24 gallons however once the pump loses prime the water in the hot water tank and lines becomes unusable. The manufacturer specifications state the capacity of the fresh water system is 30 gallons. Using the same 6-gallon portable water tank I discovered that both the black and grey tanks would only hold approximately 24 gallons when filled from empty. The manufacturer specifications state the capacity of each of these tanks to be 36 gallons. I contacted Gulf Stream via their web site and had several email exchanges and their response was basically that the tanks in my unit are the correct size. I contacted the manufacturer of the tanks who confirmed their capacities do not match what Gulf Stream shows. The fresh and waste tanks capacities were one of the reasons we chose this model. Needless to say we are very disappointed that the waste tanks hold 12 gallons less than the stated capacity and the fresh water "system" holds 6 gallons less than the stated capacity. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Indiana Attorney General. Gulf Stream stands by their specifications and stated the fresh water tank is the correct size. They failed to address the waste tank discrepancies in either complaint.

In my opinion Gulf Stream is misleading customers by providing incorrect information in their specifications and should be held accountable.
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote