View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
SlimTim

Default Re: Supernova Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler

Jayme - I removed the stock oil cooler and filter housing and then installed the new BPD manifold and EGR manifold Saturday. I also installed the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) Connector Fitting Upgrade Kit while I was working in the area. Sunday I fabricated brackets to hold the BPD oil cooler in-place. I decided to locate the cooler in front of the AC Condenser near the bottom of the grill opening. I will try and take some photos if anybody is interested. I fabricated the cooler brackets out of 1/8" x 1" x 3' bar stock purchased at my local hardware store. I was able to bend everything using my shop vice and a hammer so no special tools were used. The Top bracket uses the top AC Condenser mounting bolts as a fastening point and the bottom bracket - well that's harder to explain. There is a bolted on bracket on both the left on right side of the radiator and the only purpose of the bracket is to hold the wiring going to the headlights. Each bracket is attached with two bolts and this allows you to use it as a clamp to hold the bottom oil cooler bracket. I have a slight interference between the grill and the cooler, but I think I can fix this - if not I will just take a dermal tool to the back side of the grill in a couple of places. I also purchased the BPD remote oil filter and I plan on mounting this directly above the engine coolant filter. This will allow easy access to both the coolant filter and the engine oil filter. I hope to install the BPD oil filter and all the plumbing by the end of this coming weekend.

To sum it up, if you are mechanically inclined and have some imagination you should have no problem tackling this job yourself.

Just as an FYI, when I had the turbo off of the engine I pulled the turbo inlet Y-pipe off and welded on a port for an exhaust gas temp probe. This was very quick and easy to do and I am looking forward to having visibility to my exhaust gas temperatures.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote