View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
RayChez1

Default Re: Equalizing the batteries

I equalize the house batteries at least once a year. They actually recommend to do it every six months IF you want your house batteries to last. I am not sure what the newer coaches have, but my 2002 has a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger with a Heart interface panel.
First make sure that the water level is all the way up and your batteries fully charged. Then I turn both big switches on the outside compartment like when you are going to winterize your coach. You certainly don't want high voltage running through any circuits in your refrigerator boards or anything because when you take the steps on the panel to get the equalization started the batteries will be charged at a real high rate to get them to boil and the sulfate will fall off the plates to expose the lead. If you follow the steps it will go on for eight hours and will turn off automaticly. It is very easy and should be done if you want your batteries to last. Your manual for the inverter should take you step by step on how to do it.
Pull the battery tray out if you have slides so that plenty of air will hit it because of the hydrogen gas that will be emitted. If you don't have a tray then just leave the compartment door open while you are equalizing the batteries.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote