Thread: Battery issue
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
rdlamb

Well, I didn't want to get into the technical arena.

First, having all 12 volt batteries in your coach means you can swap (if great need arises) a battery out to start your car or pickup.

Next, in times gone by, the only deep cycle batteries around were those for golf carts, or trolling motors. The age of deep cycle 12 volt arrived. One 12 volt deep cycle costs about the same as a 6 volt. Remember, you have to buy 2 of the 6 volt.

In the same space, 2 of the 12 volt will fit, and if one of them goes bad the other will take up some slack, allowing you time to replace one.

Lose a 6 volt and the entire system goes down.

Last, I can do all the math, and calculations, but consider this, from Trojan themselves, which got me moving toward 12 volt batteries.

The main advantage of using two 6 volt batteries connected in series is long life. They generally last about two times longer than 12 volt batteries.
This is because 6 volt batteries have bigger and thicker plates that can
better withstand the effects of deep cycling.

The main advantage of using two 12 volt batteries connected in parallel is
backup. If one battery goes down, you will have the other battery to keep
your system running. With two 6 volts, if one goes down then your entire 12 volt system is down.

In terms of capacity, if you get a couple of really good 12 volt, group 27
or higher, batteries then the runtime that you'll get out of the two systems
is roughly the same.

If you need further assistance, please contact me.

Best regards,

Jim Le
Technical Support Engineer
800-423-6569 Ext. 301

I bought huge, (I believe they are size 32) 12 volt deep cycle AGM deep cycle batteries. I calculated that they, combined, put our more amp hours (by a hair) than the 2 largest Trojans (for my space). The benefit is that I wanted a maintenance free system, and I could not find any such in 6 volt. I was tired of cleaning battery acid in my battery compartment.

As I noted, this is one of those discussions where tempers rise, but I personally feel that staying with 12 volt batteries was right in my case.

MFA, hopefully this will answer your questions, if you need, I will do the math for you. Send me a private e-mail if that is your wish, just give me a while to get back to you as the Holidays are upon us.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote