View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

Cary,

The dual wheel setup is simply adding another wheel/tire to the wheel studs. To explain further, a rear axle with a dual wheel is just like the front. The same rims are used all around. If you removed the outer dual, the rear would look just like the front. Then, they add another wheel, turned around so that the hump of the rim is facing inward, and the two are touching each other, then both are held on by the single set of lug nuts. Sometimes there is a dowel pin that needs to be lined up so that the dual wheels go together a certain way, but that is fairly obvious when taking off/putting on. If there is not pin, then the most common way to put the dual wheels on is to have the valve stems offset, so if the inner tire has the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position, you would install the outer tire with the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position. This has to do with overall balance of the axle.

"If one of the duals went flat would it be safe to drive the vehicle a short distance to get to the next exit or parking spot?"

To help answer this, you are really going to want to know your rig weights, particularly axle weights, and best of all its corner weights. Then, you are going to know what the maximum weight your tires can support. Then, do the math. Typically, if you have a dual wheel set-up, then your rear axle weight can't be supported by just two tires. But, can it be supported by three?

Furthermore, the situation itself will need to be factored in. Is the tire flat from leaking air out but the tire is in good condition otherwise, or was there a blowout where further rotation of the tire may cause damage to the RV by destroying brake lines, holding tanks, wheel wells, stairs, etc?

I would say whenever there is a tire situation on the road, pull over immediately when safe so the situation can be examined. If there is a need to travel further to reach a better location or an exit, I would use my pump to air up the other good tires on the axle to the maximum psi. If that one tire on the flat side will be overloaded for that duration, know that it will be at risk for an issue in the future. It will likely get you safely down the road at a slow speed, that of course is an advantage to a dual wheel set up.

These are of course but one man's thoughts and opinions. If you find them useful, then I am pleased. Safe travels, Larry
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote